There was an error in this gadget

Monday, August 4, 2014

Must Not Wander Academy.....

Okay, small confession. I have never owned a knife of VG-10, S30V, or 153CM......till today.

I have limited experience with all of these steels when it comes to knife blades. So when I was wandering Academy I spotted some clearance tags on the knife and blade fun time isle. Scanning most of them they were just out of my comfortable price range or just wasn't interested in the least.
Then I saw it, a Camillus folder in VG-10 at $29.99. Oh my wife is gonna kill me but I snapped it up in a heartbeat. I couldn't believe it so I price checked it at the little scanner nearby, it was $29.99.

So now I own a VG-10 steel knife.

The good, the steel duh, the G-10 scales, and the nice pocket clip.
The eh, the decent feel in the hand, the semi smooth opening, and the thumbstuds.
The bad....its a tanto point blade, and the coating chips really easily.

I already chipped off some of the coating on the tip of the blade....
For the record tanto blades are useful and strong, and if you don't mind the complication they throw on sharpening then have at it.

I do not like tanto blades, have one already and that sucker is just no fun to sharpen.
I can get it razor sharp but it is more of a chore, less the fun of sitting down and putting a shaving edge on a plain straight edge or a curved drop or clip point blade.

Camillus 6.75" Carbonitride Titanium

No comments:

Post a Comment