There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, January 25, 2014

The R-51

I have to say this first. I was really excited at first to see the R-51 by Remington, an alloy framed single action 9mm without a thumb safety.

Now that I think about it though, and some specs have been revealed, I am disappointed a bit.

One, it is far larger then first alluded to.
Initially it was thought to be almost pocket 9mm, but sadly it is more like a single stack belt gun. Not a great thing considering there are 1911's that are its size and capacity. Hold on let me compare it to Bersa's new BP9CC.
                Bersa                   R-51
Weight 20 oz
Width .96
Length 6 inches
Height 4.5 inches
Barrel length 3.4 - See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/01/remington-announces-r-51-pistol/#sthash.2WUghUsm.dpuf
Weight 20 oz
Width .96
Length 6 inches
Height 4.5 inches
Barrel length 3.4 - See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/01/remington-announces-r-51-pistol/#sthash.2WUghUsm.dpuf
Width      1.05"                   1,00"    0.96"
Length     6.35"                   6.60"    6.00"
Height     5.00"                    4.60"   4.50"
Weight     21oz                    22oz    20oz
*Bersa stats from Gunblast.com's Jeff Quinn, R-51 stats first from Wikipedia another set from TheFirearmBlog.com's Phil White
(Little aside, I trust Jeff Quinn on stats. The man gets out the calipers. So until I see his stats on the R-51 who knows really.)
Personally I think the height stats aren't correct, seeing it in Eric from IV8888 hand it seems bigger.

Two, the trigger is quoted by some(namely Eric from IraqiVeteran8888) as having a "mushy" reset.
A mushy reset is almost killer for some. I have a Grendel P12, it has the Mushiest reset ever in my experience. I have never been able to feel the reset. Which makes quick accurate fire difficult for some. I know for fast shots with the Grendel I am stuck almost slapping the trigger.

Three, the grip safety.
Initially I wasn't that concerned with it, but now after thinking a bit more, and considering my feelings on 1911's and XD's I'm pretty sure I don't like it. If you aren't holding it 100% perfectly then will the grip safety deactivate and allow you to fire? This is a poor choice in my opinion for a defensive arm. The main reason for this for me is the one and hopefully only time I've drawn my pistol. I was under a truck, and actually barely was able to get a grip on it. Hell pulled my shoulder out of socket to draw, and thus I learned to like holsters that either arm can draw from. Also that shit happens and you may not be at 100% when you need to use your pistol, this includes hand strength and grip.
Another point, I have seen stuff stuck under 1911 grip safeties. The offending articles were only found during a detailed cleaning.....so you can see why I get hinky when I see a grip safety on a pistol.


No comments:

Post a Comment